BEGIN – Infancy, Early Childhood & Preschool Services
Discovering that your child has a vision problem can be scary and overwhelming. You might be worrying about things like:
- Will my baby grow up to be happy?
- Does vision loss affect development?
- Will my child be able to go to school and attend college?
- Who can I turn to for advice?
The BEGIN program is here to answer your questions, allay your fears, and provide guidance and encouragement. Specialized classes, training, information and support will help your child reach their full potential.
- Assessments of vision and development
- Functional Vision Assessments
- Vision and developmental activities for parents and children
- Weekly class sessions for children ages 2, 3 and 4
- Individual teaching visits with families
- Family and child group meetings to provide music activities, support and information
- Consultation and training for child care educators in the community
- Short-term counseling support for individuals and families to facilitate adjustment to having a child with a visual impairment
- Special group activities for all families enrolled in the program including holiday events.
Download intake forms:
Eye Doctor Referral Form:
Children & Youth Services Newsletters:
BEGIN Newsletter for February 2020
BEGIN Newsletter for January 2020
BEGIN Newsletter for December 2019
BEGIN Newsletter for November 2019
BEGIN Newsletter for October 2019
BEGIN Newsletter for March 2018 (PDF)
BEGIN Newsletter for February 2018 (PDF)
BEGIN Newsletter for January 2018 (PDF)
BEGIN Newsletter for December 2017 (PDF)
BEGIN Newsletter for November 2017 (PDF)
Click here for a list of parent resource websites.
Braille Readiness Grid for Vision Teachers (PDF)